2017/06/06

More Genderless !?

In my age in Japan, boys had boyish name, and girls had girly name. The color of boy’s school bag used to be black while that of girl’s bag used be red. The color that boys were supposed to choose was blue while that of girls were pink. As such, things were often divided by gender. But recently, it’s changing. Sometimes, we cannot tell the person is boy or girl only to see its name. Some boys prefer red to black. Some girls like blue. It’s getting more “genderless”.

When I went to the tea market the other day, I found the similar situation in tea too. (I know comparing people with tea is stupid, but I didJ) I mean when I tried Sencha, some smelled a bit more like Oolong to me. Other Sencha tasted like more Kabusecha (covered tea).

Of course, the process of Sencha and that of Oolong is different, but the reason I found Oolong aroma in Sencha is, I think, mainly because of “withering”. Sencha was not allowed to be withered according to the tea industry rule. If it’s withered, it was taken as a bad quality. But recently, some Sencha are slightly withered on purpose. The standard procedure might have been good to mass-produce the similar taste tea, but people are getting bored, and turning away from the tea. Due to withering, the aroma of Sencha varies.

As for Sencha with slightly covered is not really categorized as “Kabusecha”, but adding a bit of Umami (savory) helps vary the taste of Sencha.


I am not saying the conventional Sencha is not good, but I’ve found it interesting to see more “genderless” Sencha. 


Sakura Season

  Sakura is a feast for the eyes. Also a feast for the palate. Sencha named "sakura-hime (lit: sakura princess), which is blended with ...